Ukrainian-American Birth Defects Program
Illustrated Progress Report
Landmark Events and Performance Indicators
This narrative concerns critical and landmark events that transpired between the summer of 1999 and the 1st of January of 2000. The events are highlighted in Tables 1 and 2. Implementations that can be regarded as performance indicators are briefly delineated next. Further comments and quantitative aspects are given in Section 2.
Table 1. Critical and Landmark Events
Birth Defects (BD) Surveillance and Care
- Presented the Project to the Joint Conference of all American-Ukrainian Organizations.
- Participated in CDC sponsored National BD Conference.
- Return from the U.S. of six Ukrainian Project Leaders.
- Organized interactions with U.S. scholars.
- Signed agreements with Ministry of Health re: BD Surveillance.
- Signed agreements with Oblasts (Volyn and Rivne) re: BD Surveillance.
- Lutsk and Rivne BD teams trained by Ukrainian Leaders.
- Created electronic information resources for BD teams.
- Opened Ukrainian - American BD Centers in Lutsk and Rivne.
- First Lady of Ukraine, Mrs. L. Kuchma toured a BD Center (See photo)
- Two oblasts issued directives (nakaz) to launch BD Surveillance.
- Tested registration procedures to include all newborns.
- Tested BD surveillance procedures.
- Launched Ukrainian BD web portal.
Signing formal agreements with authorities in Rivne (Drs. W. Wertelecki, V. Demchenko, V. Polishchuk,
M. Dumanovska) and Volyn (Drs. W. Wertelecki, O. Zhurakivski)
Table 2. Critical and Landmark Events
Ukrainian Alliance (UA) for the Prevention of Birth Defects
- Signed a cooperative agreement with Mohyla Academy Kyiv University.
- Opened Kyiv Program Office at Mohyla Academy.
- Launched the Ukrainian Alliance (UA) for the Prevention of BD.
- Registered the UA.
- Sponsored the first National Meeting of PKU Parents.
- Promoted the registration of new parental PKU support groups.
- Made an agreement with International Research and Exchange Board (IREX) to train UA members in Internet technology.
- Sponsored a Meeting with Ukrainian Medical Geneticists.
site offers information mostly for educational purposes. This site is not
intended to alter health care protocols nor to serve as a sole
source of medical information. Please read full disclaimer.
Always seek the advice of your local health care
1998 - 2002 I.B.I.S. All rights reserved.
Sponsor: I.B.I.S. |
Site Concept: W. W., D. C. | Page Content:
W. Wertelecki, M. D.